Wednesday 26 November 2014

Reflection for the climb

Fathin:
For the climb to Laban Rata, I was not really ready because I was scared that I might fall or slip as the rocks may be wet but overall, I'm impressed and proud of myself as I successfully got to climb a mountain at the distance of 6km, which to me is a really long distance. I thought that I couldn't make it to Laban Rata but I made it.

Customary jump shots


In the middle of the journey, I had some breathing problems. However, with the help of my friends, I had the courage and motivation to carry on and push myself instead of giving up. Another challenging part was when we had to climb up the rocks that are not really stable. We had to learn to stabilize ourselves to prevent us from falling and we have to learn not to give up even though we are exhausted and having muscle cramps. We supported each other and everyone successfully reached the mid point which is Laban Rata.

On the second day of the climb, when we were preparing to go up the summit, I was really nervous but tried my best to overcome it. When we were climbing halfway, I had difficulty breathing. I used the oxygen bar provided to us but it did not improve my condition. Hence, I decided to head back. I cried but I knew that I had tried my best. If I am given a chance to climb Mount Kinabalu again, I will do it again and put my best effort.



Dian:
It was the start of our climb and we were very excited! The lodges we were in was really nice, not something I expected in a school trip. I had a good sleep and was up early to pack my climbing bag.

Starting at Timpohon Gate
We started the climb in high spirits and kept going for the next 6km. Despite the long journey and unending stairs, all 22 of us managed to reach Laban Rata in good time! I think what was in everyone's mind was the fact that every step will bring us closer to our destination, and through all the sweat and tiredness, the feeling of reaching Laban Rata was well worth it. That night, all of us had to sleep at 8pm as the summit push will have to start at 1.30am the next day.

Made it to Laban Rata

We woke up at the time and grabbed a quick bite and headed for a safety briefing. The weather was extremely cold, something I am not used to at all, but I still wanted to aim for the summit. It was tougher than I thought as we got breathless easily and it became steeper and steeper. My buddy, Fathin, and I were allowed to attempt the summit climb, but due to the thin air, Fathin had to turn back. I was sad, but i know all the more I had to make it to the top because I'm the only girl left in the summit team. I really want to thank the guide for motivating me along the way, using quotes such as "mind over body". I can't deny the fact that at certain points I felt so tired and exhausted, but as I watched the sunrise above the clouds, and enjoy the scenery of the smaller hills and mountains around. I told myself, it was all worth it.

On the way down.

Such beautiful weather ! 

Slight rope work required. Nothing is impossible now!

Finally at the summit, and at sunrise! So proud of each and everyone of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment